Most marketers used to think of Google Ads and Facebook Ads as competitors. The long-standing rivalry between these two digital marketing tools has always been fierce. This has caused businesses of all shapes and sizes to make tough decisions about which platform best fits their needs; a false dilemma that continues to confuse and mislead those that are new to digital marketing.
While the two platforms are often portrayed as adversaries, a lot of companies nowadays are combining the capabilities of Google Ads and Facebook Ads to acquire full visibility, improve leads and revenue, and find potential clients, using various tactics that fit with the special features of each medium, and seeing impressive returns on their marketing investment.
To help you understand what these platforms are and which of them best work for your business, let’s take an in-depth look at what Google Ads and Facebooks Ads have to offer.
What are the Major Differences Between Facebook Ads and Google Ads?
Search intent is one of the most significant differences between Google and Facebook Ads. Google users are searching for something specific, while Facebook users see ads based on their interests and preferences. Unlike Google, which uses a pull marketing approach, Facebook focuses more on brand recognition.
When it comes to Google search, the objective is to deliver an ad that precisely fits what users are looking for on the search engine. Facebook ads, on the other hand, allows you to advertise to users who aren’t even looking for your products or services just yet. In other words, even if they weren’t looking for your items, they were exposed to your advertisements because of their interests and online behavior thus creating an opportunity to learn about your brand.
Google video campaigns, like any other video marketing campaigns, can help you reach and connect with your target audience. You can select from a variety of campaign objectives, subtypes, and ad formats while creating one to inform viewers about your products or services and encourage them to take action.
Here are some of the ad video formats you can create:
- Skippable in-stream ads – Skippable in-stream ads appear before, during, or after other videos, and can be skipped after five seconds.
- Non-skippable in-stream ads – Non-skippable in-stream ads are commonly 15 seconds (or shorter) in duration and play before, during, or after other videos.
- Video discovery ads – Video discovery ads contain a thumbnail image along with some text. It is an ad format that features the video alongside related videos on the YouTube search results page and on the YouTube mobile homepage.
- Bumper ads – Bumper ads are normally six seconds (or shorter) in duration and play before, during, or after another video. Bumper ads are non-skippable.
- Outstream ads – Outstream ads start to play with no sound. Viewers will unmute the video by tapping the commercial. Outstream ads are intended to boost the video’s reach at a low cost.
- Masthead ads – Masthead ads are commonly used in promoting a new product or service or for boosting brand awareness in a short period of time. However, these ads are only available on a reservation basis with the help of a Google sales representative.
Facebook video ads are proven to be one of the most popular tools available to social media advertisers. Knowing how to make emotion-evoking, compelling Facebook videos can help every marketer become more successful on the platform.
Here are the primary Facebook video ad placements:
- In-feed ads – In-feed ads appear when a user scrolls through their News Feed and these ads look similar to organic posts.
- In-Stream video ads – In-Stream video ads are short commercials that appear after 60 seconds after the main video content plays. These ads only show on mobile devices.
- Facebook Marketplace video ads – As the name suggests, Facebook Marketplace video ads only appear when a user is scrolling and shopping on Facebook Marketplace.
Google Shopping or previously known as Product Listing Ads, is a Google service that allows users to look for, view, and compare products. When a user looks for a specific product on Google, these items appear. They can be found on the main results page of the search engine or in the shopping list. Through Google Shopping Ads, you can quickly and efficiently boost your brand’s web visibility by making your products appear above the organic search results. Google Shopping Ads can also boost the overall quality of your leads by providing shoppers with an informed purchasing experience through your ads
Google Shopping ads primarily direct people to your website first. For retail items, Google Shopping is the perfect choice. However, this is not the platform for you if you’re offering financial or any type of services that do not result in ownership of a tangible product. You can learn more about these unsupported shopping content in Google Merchant Center. Google Shopping also takes into account the keywords entered by the users and then reveals the items that most closely complement their query.
Businesses can conveniently set up an online store through Facebook Shops. It’s free and easy to set up. Businesses can select items from their catalog to feature, then configure the appearance of their store with a cover photo and accent colors that represent their brand. This ensures that every vendor, regardless of scale or budget, can take their business online and engage with customers anywhere and wherever they choose.
Facebook is also a marketing platform that allows you to remarket your offers to previous visitors. Integrate this feature to your store and you will be able to maximize the full advantage of Facebook ads. Not to mention, Facebook ads take into account the user’s search history and actions on the retailer’s website and then shows them items that they may be interested in.
Should You Choose Google Ads?
Google Ads is a pay-per-click (PPC) advertising tool that allows companies to manage and run advertisements. Through Google’s Search Partners or Display Network, these advertisements appear in Google search results and also on other websites. The Search Network is at the heart of Google Ads. It allows marketers to promote their ads to people who are aggressively looking for products or services that a business provides.
One of the most compelling reasons to use Google Ads is that you have complete leverage over the cost. If you set a budget, Google Ads will never go over that, and it will also forecast the results based on your budget.
What are the Benefits?
1. Lead Generation – Google Ads is known for its effective lead generation capability. If you set up your ad campaigns correctly, you can deliver highly targeted leads to your domain. Google Ads helps you to target customers who are looking for what your business is offering. This implies that you should keep refining your searches so that only people interested in buying your products or services are directed to your respective online platforms.
2. Faster Results & Transparency – Google Ads is known for providing fast, easy-to-understand campaign results and reports. In other words, Google Ads is a very transparent and user-friendly system. Since the dashboard provides all of the details relating to each ad project, such as the advertisements clicked, the keywords that page visitors searched, and the cost of clicks, analyzing the success of the ad campaigns becomes a breeze.
3. Higher ROI – Unlike other marketing techniques, Google Ads only costs you when users click on your ads. You will get a high return on investment by leveraging Google Ads campaigns, which might not be achievable for other marketing techniques.
4. High-Quality Traffic – Google dominates the online market. With its enormous customer base, the search engine has the power to deliver a massive volume of traffic to millions of businesses every day provided they have the budget for it. Not to mention, Google takes pride in providing meaningful content and ads, and the company’s search engine algorithms are constantly evolving and improving to deliver the most relevant information online.
Aside from the mentioned benefits above, there are still a lot of advantages that Google Ads can provide to your business, especially on the Video and Shopping platforms. On one hand, Google ads that are integrated through videos can help you connect and engage with your target audience more effectively compared to text-based promotion.
Google Shopping ads, on the other hand, can provide you with more qualified traffic, better conversion rates, and increased sales. Google Shopping ads are all about attracting customers with the goal to persuade shoppers to purchase something. So if you’re an online store, utilizing Google Shoppings ads is one of the best ways to bring your business closer to your customers.
Nonetheless, Google Ads is one of the most effective digital marketing platforms ever produced. It processes millions of regular internet searches and offers company owners a one-of-a-kind ability to turn each of these users into leads and loyal-paying customers. It’s true that many companies are put off by the cost of advertising on Google Ads, particularly if they are unfamiliar with how the service works. However, by strategically planning your online advertising campaign, Google Ads will pay off lavishly.
How About Facebook Ads?
Facebook is used by billions of users on a daily basis, and if you put a targeted ad on the platform, the odds of reaching the right market improves significantly.
Businesses can advertise on Facebook in a number of ways. Ads can be as plain or as intricate as the advertiser desires. The reach is also huge regardless of the format. This gives businesses the opportunity to market their products or services to over two billion Facebook users. The process is pretty simple. Facebook provides self-serve tools for users to target specific markets, as well as for analytics reports that monitor the success of each ad they set up.
As a business owner, you can use Facebook’s Business Manager platform to handle all of their marketing and advertising activities in one place. This makes everything a lot more convenient and easier to manage. Additional features, such as Instagram access and product catalogs, are also included in the platform.
What are the Benefits?
1. Create Objective-Specific Ads – Facebook simplifies the process of creating an ad. It walks you through the steps to help you pick the type of ad you want to run, reach your demographic, and set a deadline and budget. Besides that, the ad can be customized to suit your specific needs. These are referred to as “objectives” on Facebook. You can generate an ad based on whatever you want, whether it’s for website clicks, post engagement, page views, or something else combined.
2. Remarketing – People who have recently viewed your website can see your ads, which is another means of engaging your target demographic. Let’s take a look at why this is relevant. Even though you’ve successfully stirred up their attention, the first time users see your business on Facebook, they are likely to glance at it and not make any progress. This is why Facebook ad’s remarketing capability is extremely useful to businesses.
3. Massive Marketing Potential – Facebook is too important for businesses to neglect. It’s an enormous platform that provides massive potential for business growth. That’s why your business should heavily invest on a Facebook page — it’s where your actual and potential customers will discover you. In fact, a user spends about 2.5 hours a day on social media, with Facebook being the first-choice platform.
4. Robust Analytics – When it comes to presenting reports and analytics regarding the performance of your ads, Facebook does not hold back. You’ll never have to speculate or make conclusions on what works and what doesn’t. You also won’t have to work out the conversion rates or other marketing indicators because they’ll be conveniently set out for you right inside Ads Manager. The only thing that you have to do is to analyze your results and decide what to do next.
Facebook advertisers still enjoy more benefits, especially on the Video and Shopping platforms. For instance, InterDigital/Futuresource Report reveals that by 2022, video content consumption is predicted to account for 82% of all user internet traffic. This is one of the major reasons why video ads must be included in your marketing strategies. And with so many tools to reach out to your target audience, Facebook video ads are easily one of the most powerful ones that you can utilize.
Facebook Shops, on the other hand, is a way for businesses to deliver their brand story, product selections, and engage with their customers. Even though Facebook Shop is new to the social media scene, numerous businesses have already hopped on the social shopping train. Not to mention, the number of people shopping online have increased during the COVID-19 pandemic.
While Facebook ads are inexpensive, don’t ignore them because of their low cost. It has already taken a lot of businesses to new heights. It’s also important to remember that there’s a period of adjustment. Ads Manager isn’t easy to use, and you won’t get results right away.
Google Ads or Facebook Ads?
You don’t really have to pick between the two because you can always utilize them to your advantage. However, if you want to maximize the potential of these digital marketing tools, you should always start with your strategy and objectives. Whether it’s Google Ads or Facebook Ads, your success will depend on how you tie your digital marketing strategies to your business goals.
Choose Huskee Digital
Should you need help when it comes to running Google Ads or Facebook Ads, our team at Huskee Digital has you covered. We can help improve your existing digital marketing strategies, create new dynamic campaigns, and manage other advertising platforms such as your social media business accounts. At Huskee Digital, we don’t walk the talk, we run it! Get in touch with us today to get started!